Skip to main content

FOV - camera options

So continuing looking at cameras, firstly let me be clear I have a VERY limited budget for this project having already pushed out the boat to buy an Optoma PK301 (I'll cover pico-projectors at a later date) hence commercial options such as this HQ lens and pre-modded IR cameras are just out of my price bracket. Hence the PS3 camera is looking very tempting given they can be picked up on ebay for less than £15 and a large range of hacks have already been done for them.

I wanted to document my comparison of the various options I have considered though :

NameFOV (degrees)fps320fps640fps1280Cost
PS3 Eye75/5612060NA£15
C91083H 1606030£70
Kinect58H (IR)/63H (RGB) 3030NA£100
Xtion58H£120
Samsung SII75???????30NA

The above table is incomplete obviously ~ I've thrown in the SII since I have one available but I can't find any specifications on the camera, even from the datasheet hence the numbers are a guestimate based on a comparison with the C910.

Doing the above research confirmed that I will have to rule out depth based systems such as Kinect and Asus's Xtion since the minimal operating distance for the IR camera is 0.5m in the case of the Kinect and 0.8m for the Xtion. I believe the kinects FOV can be improved to 90 deg via an add on lens but that obviously increases the expense. Pity but a conscious design decision that I am now making is to focus on the "natural gesture position" that I illustrated earlier based on the advantages of it being eyes-free. I am aiming to incorporate a forward aiming camera as well though so, yes, we're talking about a 2 camera system now (possibly with very simple homebrew IR modifications).

I think the main modification that is going to be needed is to increase the FOV of the camera and do so cheaply - some interesting ideas I uncovered for this:

Commercial camera wide angle lens
CCTV wide angle lens
Adapt a lens from a door peep hole

I like the idea of the door peep hole - a nice hack and within my budget.

[1] http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Webcams/Question-on-HD-Pro-c910/td-p/568268

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recording/Playback

I've been busy with whipping my literature review and methodology sections together for the last few weeks (with the occasional diversion to tout the surveys, still a very low response so far *sadface*) and I'm heading towards crunch time now where I'm going to have to bring everything together for a draft version early next months. Since I'm now more in a documenting than development phase I've little work done on the prototype apart from to add recording/playback capabilities so that a session can be "recorded" and then I can explore if changes to the gestural interface improve recognition (although that isn't a major aim at this point). Again, a quick plea to anyone reading, just a few more responses to the gesture and display surveys and I'll be able to start my analysis for that data so if you have 5 minutes it would be greatly appreciated.
I know I should move on and start a new blog but I'm keeping this my temporary home. New project, massive overkill in website creation. I've a simple project to put up a four page website which was already somewhat over specified in being hosted on AWS and S3. This isn't quite ridiculous enough though so I am using puppet to manage an EC2 instance (it will eventually need some server side work) and making it available in multiple regions. That would almost have been enough but I'm currently working on being able to provision an instance either in AWS or Rackspace because...well...Amazon might totally go down one day! Yes, its over-the-top but I needed something simple to help me climb up the devops and cloud learning curve. So off the bat - puppet installation. I've an older 10.04 Ubuntu virtual server which has been somewhat under-taxed so I've set that up as a puppet master. First lesson - always use the latest version from a tarball unless you have kept t...

Getting the design right vs getting the right design

So today I've been looking at ways to make the text input interaction more fluid and investigating if I can able some level of error correction (i.e. a spell checker). 1) 2 hours of use off and on and my arm aches, my back aches, my wrist aches. Even with the minimal arm movement that is required, my forearm still needs supporting and to spell a 5 letter words I am still moving the focal point about....6 inches across which is enough to induce fatigue over time. If I had more time I would do an about turn and look at just using a single finger (although that reintroduces the segmentation issue which the pinch technique solves).... 2) Writing without visual feedback is more taxing than I had thought. I originally did an experiment which involved people walking and writing at the same time as a "proof of concept" exploration. I suspect I had the task wrong though - I should have had them do it blindfolded! Luckily I've still time to repeat that experiment. 3) The ...