Skip to main content

Another Quick Update

I've been very busy putting together a framework to support a number of small applications for implementation - the apps are intended to be nothing more than proof of concept and to explore some of the interaction issue e.g. are dwell regions a better option than selectable areas (we're in eye tracking territory now)?; can these be applied to navigation?; How do we implement a mobile projected UI (terra incognita I believe)?

The framework is largely event/message driven since it affords us with loose coupling and dynamic run-time binding for both messages and classes ~ if I wasn't farting around with abstraction of the services (useful in the longer term...services become both sinks and producers of events) it would probably come in at < 200 lines of code...

The point being while I'm not supposed to be writing code at this stage I am and hope to have at least a video by the end of the weekend (yes a week late).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recording/Playback

I've been busy with whipping my literature review and methodology sections together for the last few weeks (with the occasional diversion to tout the surveys, still a very low response so far *sadface*) and I'm heading towards crunch time now where I'm going to have to bring everything together for a draft version early next months. Since I'm now more in a documenting than development phase I've little work done on the prototype apart from to add recording/playback capabilities so that a session can be "recorded" and then I can explore if changes to the gestural interface improve recognition (although that isn't a major aim at this point). Again, a quick plea to anyone reading, just a few more responses to the gesture and display surveys and I'll be able to start my analysis for that data so if you have 5 minutes it would be greatly appreciated.
I know I should move on and start a new blog but I'm keeping this my temporary home. New project, massive overkill in website creation. I've a simple project to put up a four page website which was already somewhat over specified in being hosted on AWS and S3. This isn't quite ridiculous enough though so I am using puppet to manage an EC2 instance (it will eventually need some server side work) and making it available in multiple regions. That would almost have been enough but I'm currently working on being able to provision an instance either in AWS or Rackspace because...well...Amazon might totally go down one day! Yes, its over-the-top but I needed something simple to help me climb up the devops and cloud learning curve. So off the bat - puppet installation. I've an older 10.04 Ubuntu virtual server which has been somewhat under-taxed so I've set that up as a puppet master. First lesson - always use the latest version from a tarball unless you have kept t...

Getting the design right vs getting the right design

So today I've been looking at ways to make the text input interaction more fluid and investigating if I can able some level of error correction (i.e. a spell checker). 1) 2 hours of use off and on and my arm aches, my back aches, my wrist aches. Even with the minimal arm movement that is required, my forearm still needs supporting and to spell a 5 letter words I am still moving the focal point about....6 inches across which is enough to induce fatigue over time. If I had more time I would do an about turn and look at just using a single finger (although that reintroduces the segmentation issue which the pinch technique solves).... 2) Writing without visual feedback is more taxing than I had thought. I originally did an experiment which involved people walking and writing at the same time as a "proof of concept" exploration. I suspect I had the task wrong though - I should have had them do it blindfolded! Luckily I've still time to repeat that experiment. 3) The ...