Skip to main content

Getting the design right vs getting the right design

So today I've been looking at ways to make the text input interaction more fluid and investigating if I can able some level of error correction (i.e. a spell checker).

1) 2 hours of use off and on and my arm aches, my back aches, my wrist aches. Even with the minimal arm movement that is required, my forearm still needs supporting and to spell a 5 letter words I am still moving the focal point about....6 inches across which is enough to induce fatigue over time. If I had more time I would do an about turn and look at just using a single finger (although that reintroduces the segmentation issue which the pinch technique solves)....

2) Writing without visual feedback is more taxing than I had thought. I originally did an experiment which involved people walking and writing at the same time as a "proof of concept" exploration. I suspect I had the task wrong though - I should have had them do it blindfolded! Luckily I've still time to repeat that experiment.

3) The limitations of the hacked together prototype are becoming rapidly apparent. Converting points to words introduces a significant lag into the "glue" application (os6sense.py) and the poor performance of the fiducial tracker both in terms of the "jitter" and frequent loss of acquisition is making this painful.

4) On the positive side, I am both impressed and disappointed by just how well the air-writing can work. Its best with visual feedback but on single letters performance is excellent. For cursive handwriting performance is....variable. With visual feedback I'd estimate 80% of words are in the alternate spelling list. Without feedback that drops to maybe 50%. I've a small word list, I need to benchmark obviously.

5) Mobility. The need for compensation due to movement is very apparent, Discreet gestures are just not registered, recognition rate suffers immensely, reliability is terrible - very very unimpressive performance.

6) I had intended to explore the pico-projector more over the next 2 weeks. Sadly the MHL link between my Samsung SII and the projector is unstable meaning if I do anything I need to hook up the laptop...except I have heat related issues with the laptop causing it to crash if I put it in my bag for more than 5 minutes :/ Added to this, battery life on the projector is about 20 minutes on a good day.

All in all, I know this is a prototype but its far less impressive than I had hoped for unless I manipulate conditions extensively. Still that's about par for the course for a V0.1. A good learning experience so far, probably not shaping up to be the greatest Masters thesis ever...but then I knew prototyping was risky.

In other words I have to wonder if this is the right design for this type of interaction. Its hard to tell how many of the issues I'm experiencing are to do with the technology verses issues with the approach I've taken overall. Thats a different kettle of fish though!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I know I should move on and start a new blog but I'm keeping this my temporary home. New project, massive overkill in website creation. I've a simple project to put up a four page website which was already somewhat over specified in being hosted on AWS and S3. This isn't quite ridiculous enough though so I am using puppet to manage an EC2 instance (it will eventually need some server side work) and making it available in multiple regions. That would almost have been enough but I'm currently working on being able to provision an instance either in AWS or Rackspace because...well...Amazon might totally go down one day! Yes, its over-the-top but I needed something simple to help me climb up the devops and cloud learning curve. So off the bat - puppet installation. I've an older 10.04 Ubuntu virtual server which has been somewhat under-taxed so I've set that up as a puppet master. First lesson - always use the latest version from a tarball unless you have kept t

Prototype Hardware Rig

Its late here so I'm a brief post. As I've said, hardware wise there are a lot of options as to where to place the various components for a WGI and a few studies out there have looked at the various components in some depth (TODO refs). However an obvious constraint for this project is available resources (hardware, time, money etc) and when it comes to the act of physically assembling thing, and doing so quickly, for my first build it is almost a matter of just making the best out of things. Hence I present the rigging for O6Sense FG v0.01 which has been inspired by observing the trend towards the wearing of large closed-cup headphones and the opportunities this opens in having a "socially acceptable" wearable prototype. What is it? Its a pair of cheap headphones with the cups cut off and 2 Rode pop-shield mounts fitted into the rear wire loops. I cant help but feel some providence at work here since not only is the rear arm a snug fit the screw holes are the ex